Home | Log out

Monday, April 4, 2011

Baby (Nick)Name to Consider: Buzz

Monday, April 4, 2011
Lizzie writes:
I was due 3 days ago with my son and we still don't have a name. (GAH!) ANYWAY, here's where your first reaction advice comes in: we like the nickname Buzz as in Buzz Aldrin, Buzz Peterson, Buzz Stephen, etc. Do you think this kid would die of BUZZ LIGHTYEAR syndrome as he grows up? Is it too generational a reference do you think? I JUST DON'T KNOW!

This is one of those questions where we won't know until we collect a large enough sample. To ME, the nickname Buzz brings to mind both Buzz Lightyear and Buzz Aldrin---but not in an exclusive, "no one else may have this name" sort of way. I would blink if I encountered it on a child, only because I've never heard it on a child before---but I don't think I'd blink TWICE. On the other hand, I'm not a peer of your child-to-be.

I hope everyone else will give their reactions as well, to give us a good solid sample. Also, this needs a poll, but it's hard to know what the poll should say. I'll wing it; it's over to the right, under the ad. [Poll closed; see results below.]

[Edited to add: Note that this is a question about using Buzz as a NICKNAME, not as a given name.]