Home | Log out

Friday, March 4, 2011

Sock Yarn Dying and Pregnancy Knitting Cravings

Friday, March 4, 2011
One interesting side effect of pregnancy has been the cravings.  Yes, there have been food cravings (home made macaroni and cheese, grapefruit, gummy bears), but mostly, I have had knitting cravings.

If you've seen my Ravelry project page recently, you will undoubtably notice trends in my knitting.  I blogged about my sweater cravings here and since then I have been very into baby leg warmers, althought the three sets I knit are not all to keep (two are for a friend who is expecting twins!).  As I got closer to finding out the gender of the baby, I started craving smaller projects, mostly booties and socks.

I didn't want to buy a whole bunch of different colours of sock yarn, only to have small amounts left over after a knit a pair of booties, so this weekend I picked up some white superwash sock yarn to dye.  I figured out how much yarn I would need for several specific projects and dyed the required amount for each project.

I used Dale of Norway/Dalegarn Baby Ull for the first two mini-skeins and dyed up Green Apple and Turquoise Tempest.  I was definitely going for a blue with the turquoise skein, but sometimes dying yields unexpected results! 

Green Apple






















Turqoise Tempest




















I also dyed up some Spud & Chloë Fine that I had in my stash. 



















I started knitting some booties with these yarns, but I seem to be having some pregnancy-brain induced knitting problems, and nothing was coming out right.  I've pushed the knittting bootie craving away for a little while in favour of some larger projects that can be done on bigger needles.