Home | Log out

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Baby Girl or Boy Shameer, Sibling to Sebastian

Saturday, March 19, 2011
Robin writes:
My husband and I are expecting a baby soon – due date is April 7, but I’ll probably be induced at 39 weeks, so two weeks, tops. We have a son named Sebastian. We have lots of great boy name ideas, but we’re really struggling with girl names. Last name starts with a C and sounds like Sha-meer. Current frontrunners are:

Scarlett (Probably my favorite, my husband goes back and forth – do you think this is going to get very popular? That’s my only concern.)
Camilla

Other names that we like but maybe don’t love are:
Josephine
Juliette
Charlotte
Clara

I like Noelle a lot and my husband likes Annabel a lot, but the feelings are not mutual. We both like Nora a lot but can’t use it. I want the name to be a “real” name, no funny spellings, no surname or place names, etc. Do you have any other ideas? I feel like I should have a better list at this point, and my husband and I seem to have stalled out on discussions, so time for a neutral third party! Hopefully you can help!

The graph for Scarlett's rising popularity looks scary:

(screenshot from the Social Security Administration)
(click it to see it larger)


Nevertheless, if you're asking my opinion, which you are, I don't think it's going to get Very Popular. I think it's going to stop rising soon. My GUESS is that it will stay in a comfortable position: common enough so people won't be shocked or say "WHAT'S her name??"---but always a little unusual, and never a Top 10.

I'd put my vote with Camilla, though. I think that is such a pretty name, and so underused. Corinna would be pretty, too, or Corinne. I also like Camille, which makes me think of Simone and Celeste. Camilla also makes me think of Romilly.

Oh, I too love Noelle and Annabel! Other possibilities: Abrielle, Arabella, Giselle, Elodie, Eloise, Ellery, Elowyn.

I also like Elise: Elise Shameer, Sebastian and Elise.

Nora makes me think of Rory, Nina, Maura, Laura, Willa---and of Cora, which is similar to the Clara you like.

Instead of Scarlett and Charlotte, would you like Violet? Violet Shameer, Sebastian and Violet.