Home | Log out

Monday, March 21, 2011

Baby Boy Jones

Monday, March 21, 2011
Katie writes:
Please help us! My husband and I are expecting our first baby on April 23, 2011. It is a boy and OF COURSE I have a sturdy hand full of girl names that I love, but boy names are hard. Jones is such a plain last name that I want something different to make it unique. I think his name should have more than one syllable and definitely not start with a J. Anytime we ask for suggestions people find plenty of names that DON'T work, but rarely do we find names we like. We also have to be careful that his name doesn't make him sound like an NFL linebacker!

I like the middle name David, after my Dad, but I'm not sold on it.

Some names we like are:

Liam
Henry
Landon

Some newer contenders are:

Rhys or Reece
Addison
Sawyer
Oliver (?)
Benjamin

We would LOVE some suggestions!

Thanks so much!

I would like to swiftly steer you away from Addison. In 2009, there were 10,567 new baby girls named Addison in the U.S., and only 240 boys---and I can almost guarantee that every one of those 240 boys has a teeth-clenching road of "No, I'm a boy" ahead of him. The nickname Addy/Addie, the similarity to the names Madison and Allison...I suspect this name is going fully to the girls.

I suggest Anderson instead. Or Dawson, or Edison, or Erickson, or Harrison, or Lawson, or Tennyson, or Wilson. I think Anderson and Wilson are my favorites from that list. (Normally Lawson is a favorite of mine, but Lawson Jones has a little too much cowboy in it for my tastes.)

Because you have two of my own favorites (Oliver and Henry) on your list, I'll mention a few of my other favorites: Milo and Leo and Isaac. I like the repeating O sound better with Milo than with Leo: Milo David Jones is wonderful. Or Isaac David Jones. (Isaac might be getting too common for what you want, but I'm encouraged to keep it in the list anyway by Benjamin, which is even higher in the ranks.)

Another name I like is Everett, and I think Everett Jones is a very handsome name. Elliot Jones would also work well.

One way to help narrow things down is to look at your list of girl names and choose one or two that right now you DEFINITELY want to use, and see which of your boy name choices are best with those girl names. Also, check to make sure that none of your boy name choices eliminate any of your girl name choices: for example, if you wanted to use Eva, you'd want to avoid using Evan.