Home | Log out

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Baby Girl Ferowska: Daria or Jane?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Jen writes:
We are expecting our second child, a daughter, on November 26. Our son’s name is Theo James Ferowska (my husband’s surname).

We have two finalists for a name:

Daria Jane Ferowska

or

Jane unknown-middle-name Ferowska

We really like the name Daria, but are worried that it will be mispronounced (“DAH-ree-a” is the correct pronunciation but many people say “DARE-y-a” instead). An informal survey of my colleagues indicates an approximately 30% mispronunciation rate.

I would be most curious as to your thoughts, and those of your readers, on whether/how much this “matters”? Should we just go with the simpler Jane as a first name instead?

If your favorite is Daria, I think you should use Daria. I think almost every name is pronounced incorrectly now and then: I'm Kristen, which seems straightforward to me, but it gets pronounced "Kristine" surprisingly often. It's not a big deal. I knew Daria was DAH-ree-ah (I used to watch MTV!), but let's have a poll over to the right to find out the percentage of readers who knew. [Poll closed; see results below.]