My husband and I are having boy naming issues. This is our first baby and we can't think of anything we'd really like to name him.
Before we knew the sex, we came up with girl names pretty easily. (I hate to even mention them in case I jinx anything for a future baby, but here goes.) I love love LOVE the name "Thora." It's got a wonderful old-timey feel, it's not popular, it has a lovely Scandinavian flavor, and we agreed on it almost instantly. We also really liked "Eleanor."
For a boy's name, we want the same kind of classic, old-timey, familiar-but-not-trendy feel. I want to "save" Thora, so I'm not really considering names like "Thorin" that would rule it out for future babies. Plus, I like that Thora (at least to me) doesn't smack you in the face with HELLO I AM A NORDIC GOD NAME in the way that a baby Odin might. It doesn't feel like it's trying too hard.
Middle name will likely be Leif, which is my husband's middle name. This likely fulfills our vague desire for a bit of a Scandinavian vibe in the name.
Names we sort of like:
William (Can't tell if I'm convincing myself I like this or if I actually do)
Oliver (a bit too fast-rising for me; feels "matchy" with the last name)
Wesley (so adorable but I wonder if it's too... new-ish? Or trendy?)
Robert (it's a family name on husband's side and has been used a fair amount in the past, though not at all recently)
Jonathan (same caveat as William)
I also really liked "Roland," but I kept saying it "rawl-and" instead of "row-land," husband didn't like it much, and I loved the nickname "Rollie" but our baby will have a (boy) cousin named Riley very close in age, and "Riley and Rollie" sounds stupid and sing-songy to me. So that's out.
Also out:
- Names that end in a -C or -K noise (Mike), because paired with the beginning of the last name you get an unsavory 4-letter-word
- Most -ER ending names (Parker), because they sound too rhymey with the last name
- Any of the Aiden/Brayden/Caiden ilk
- Kre@tiv spellings
- I am more or less okay with popular but am not as okay with trendy, if that makes sense
We just haven't found a name that feels like "our baby." HELP!
I'm going to look for names that would work with a future sister named Thora or Eleanor.
A boy name I think would sound really good with Thora especially is Soren. Soren Leif Gunter. Or Torsten: Torsten Leif Gunter. Or perhaps those names are a little TOO well-matched?
If you like William and Wesley but you're not sure about them, I suggest Wilson. Wilson Leif Gunter.
I also like Edmund: Edmund Leif Gunter.
I think Miles sounds great with your surname: Miles Leif Gunter.
Or Silas: Silas Leif Gunter.
Ooo, or Simon! Simon Leif Gunter.
More suggestions for the Gunters?
Name update 03-29-2010! Meggan writes:
Thanks so much for posting our naming dilemma! Everyone's suggestions
helped us narrow things down and in the end we went with what felt the
best: Wesley Leif Gunter was born (early, via c-section due to
preeclampsia) March 25 and we've gotten a lot of great feedback on his
name. Hurray!