Home | Log out

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Would you let your kids move back?

Tuesday, May 17, 2011
The other day I stumbled upon this stat: More than half of 2010 college grads are living with their parents.

I don’t know about you, but that number scares the hell out of me.

It’s been part of my Parental Measures of Success (PMS) that, come 18, my children will be gone for good. First to college, then to a career that will one day provide them with enough money to feed my sorry old self or at least to bail me out of jail.

Point is, if they move back in after college that will really screw everything up.

Plus, it can’t be good for them. I should know: I was a lingerer at home, staying both through college and my first post-college job. By any measure, the experience was an absolute disaster for both me and my parents. I mean, no one in the house had any patience, empathy, or graciousness left. And, of course, nothing says sexy eligible dude like living at home.

Mrs. Dadler says she’d consider letting Stella and Theo back in the door IF they had some rockin’ unpaid internship that would jump-start their career. But I don’t know.

I love my kids, but I think leaving home is probably like sleep training: Cave on the routine and you’re screwed.

The article I read says that parents’ weak behavior – constantly handing out money instead of forcing kids to live on tight budgets – may be to blame for the high “boomerang kid” rate.

So you can believe me that I’ve got my kids counting every penny and earning every dime (there’s nothing like a preschooler committed to the all-mighty dollar, let me tell you).

And while my parental monetary resolve may be put to the test in the weeks, months, and years ahead, I can tell you what I won’t waver on: My nightly prayers that by the time my kids do leave the roost they’re hardworking smarties entering an economy that’s good, strong, and affords them the career of my old-age dreams.

So, would you take your grown kids back in?