Home | Log out

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Baby Girl Lupuis, Sister to Luke and Elliot

Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Julie writes:
I am expecting my third baby on May 3rd. I have two boys, Luke and Elliot and we just found this will be a GIRL! My husband and I have never had to look through girl names before and are desperate for some suggestions. Our last name is french sounding, rhymes with Lupuis but begins with a D. My husband grew up in France, we both have French heritage and would LOVE to incorporate a French name into our family. However, we are not bound to this as I grew up in Ireland and love some of the Irish names too. We hardly ever agree on a name as my husband wants a classic predictable name whereas I want a name that is recognised but not at all popular. I also love a longer fancier name with a cute nickname. The only names we have somewhat agreed on are longer names (that I like) but with a nickname that is simple (which he likes) Sort of a compromise. The middle name will be May, to honor my grandmother.

Here are some of the names we have been considering:

Genevieve (Evie or Eve)
Annabelle (Anna)
Camille (Cami)
Evelyn (Evie)
Lillian (Lily)

PLEASE can you help?

One of my favorite French names is Celeste: Celeste Lupuis; Luke, Elliot, and Celeste. Classic AND not at all popular. It's awkward with the middle name, but no more awkward than Camille, which encourages me to suggest it anyway.

Another of my favorites is Simone: Luke, Elliot, and Simone. Again, awkward with the middle name.

Another of my favorites is Liane, if you don't mind repeating an initial: Luke, Elliot, and Liane. Again the middle name problem. I think it's that a lot of the names I think of when I try to think of French names have the accent on the second syllable (Nicole, Danielle, Monique), and none of those work nicely with a one-syllable middle name. I'm continuing to include them in my list, firstly because you have Camille in your own list, and secondly because sometimes middle names are flexible or sometimes the rhythm is not considered important.

Two more: Corinne and Noelle.

My mother's favorite French name is Esmé (again, if you don't mind repeating an initial): Luke, Elliot, and Esmé. This doesn't work with the middle name at all.

Adelaide is pretty: Luke, Elliot, and Adelaide.

Josephine, too, and I just heard the most adorable nickname for it: Posy (presumably from the rhyming route of Josie).

A non-French option that seems like it would work well is Fiona: Luke, Elliot, and Fiona. And Fiona May is beautiful.

Or Molly? Wouldn't that be adorable with the middle name? Molly May Lupuis; Luke, Elliot, and Molly.

ALL the names on your list are wonderful, I think. It may just be a matter of having one of them grow on you more than the others. My own favorite is Genevieve, followed closely by Annabelle (I usually prefer the spelling Annabel, but in this case I prefer -belle because you're hoping to refer to French ancestry).