Home | Log out

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Baby Boy or Girl Milchak, Sibling to Maggie Sue

Sunday, March 27, 2011
Sarah writes:
We are expecting baby #2 on April 12th and within the last week, I have started to seriously question our "potential" names. Our first daughter is Maggie (Margaret) Sue, last name sounds like Milchak. We don't know the sex of this baby. We are pretty settled on Henry for a boy first name, but I like Daniel for a middle name, my husband likes George (both are family names). We tend to go for "older" names as opposed to new/trendy names. Our girl names... well, we just don't have a clear winner. We like Emma, Alice, Katherine. I think Emma is a front-runner but again the middle name hangs me. Let's face it, I really only use our daughter's middle name when she's doing something wrong or needs to come back to reality.... Margaret Sue just snaps her into attention. I would like #2's name to do the same.

Any and all help/comments/ concerns/suggestions will be much appreciated. I'm sick of losing sleep over this :)

I too get all doubty right at the end. It could mean that the names need re-working, or it could be last-minute nervousness.

I suspect that either middle name you choose for Henry will work equally well and be equally satisfying. We were down to three middle names for our fifth child, and we finally narrowed it to two, then back up to three, and ack! But when I think of it now, I think any of the three would have been very good choices, and I think the same about George and Daniel: they're both family names, they both work with the first name and surname, and you'll probably be happy with either one.

With Margaret (Maggie), my favorite sister name is Katherine. Would you use a nickname, so it would be, for example, Margaret and Katherine / Maggie and Katie? I like Katherine Jean: Margaret Sue and Katherine Jean. Or Katherine May? Or Katherine Ava? Katherine Jane? Katie Ava doesn't work as well, but Katie Jean, Katie May, Katie Jane---all cute.

My second favorite with Margaret is Alice, and it is only the smallest smidgen behind Katherine, mostly because of it not having a nickname compatible with Maggie (maybe Allie?). I like Jean again here: Alice Jean Milchak, Maggie Sue and Allie Jean.

With Emma, I think I'd use the middle name Katherine. This gives you Maggie Sue and Emma Kate---or, for reprimands, you'd have the full Emma Katherine, just as you have the full Margaret Sue.