Home | Log out

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Second Trimester Pregnancy Journal: Week 15

Tuesday, February 15, 2011
We got a midwife this week! Yay!

We have been waiting and hoping for a midwife since I was 5 weeks pregnant.  I had pretty much given up on the idea that we would have one, it just seemed hopeless.  This week I got a call telling me that the practice I was waiting on is hiring a new midwife.  She is due to start in June or July.  I know, I'm due in July... I reminded them of that fact when they called  me.  "Are you sure you will have someone for me by then?" I asked sweetly.  They assured me I would.

Until then I am going to see the other midwives in the practice.  It's not an ideal situation - I would have loved to have seen the same health care provider throughout my entire pregnancy, but, beggers can't be choosers can they?

Giving birth with a midwife allows for several different birthing options.  If I choose, I can give birth entirely at home.  I can have a waterbirth!  I can also go to the local hospital at any point if I choose to, or need to.  The OB I have been seeing works very closely with the midwives, so if I need a doctor, there is that option too.

I have several fears about giving birth at the hospital.  I hope the midwife will be able to assure me that following practices do not still take place, or do not take place at the local hospital:

-Automatic IV hookup.  How can I labour naturally and in different positions when I am hooked up to an IV?
-Automatic fetal monitoring.  There have been no studies proving that constant fetal monitoring is necessary, nor does it help keep the baby or mama safe.  The same applies as above, how can I labour naturally and in different positions when I am constantly hooked up to a monitor
-No eating during labour.  I've heard that  you're not really allowed to eat during labour, especially if you have had medications.  I think they worry that you will have food in your system if an emergency surgery is necessary.  This practice just seems mean, where am I supposed to get my energy from if I can't eat?
-No waterbirthing at the hospital.  My OB told me I couldn't have a water birth because he didn't want to get wet.  Guess what buddy, this isn't about you!

I'm not ruling out a hospital birth yet.  Like I said, I have concerns about having the baby there, hopefully I can get those concerns addressed when I finally meet my midwife!