Home | Log out

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Family Trees

Sunday, February 13, 2011
My friend Firegirl was assembling her family tree, and she discovered she has a great-great aunt named Sunbeam Olive.

This led me to wonder, since so many of us have looked in our family trees for baby-naming inspiration: what fun/funny names have YOU found? I have a great-great uncle with the middle name Haddock. I have an actual Egbert in the family, and a Fanny, and a Hubert, and a Wilbur, and a Hulda, and a Jemima---names that are funny now, though I assume not at all funny at the time.

I have a several-times-great uncle named Justice, and I have other relatives with names such as Hannah, Emma, Eva, Clark, Adeline, Isabel, Polly, Henry---all names I could say I was using because they were family names, when I'd actually be using them because they were currently in style. (Unlike, say, "Haddock.")