Home | Log out

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Baby Girl Burch

Thursday, February 3, 2011
Britney writes:
So, here's my information.
Due Date: March 11th, 2011
Baby: Girl
Surname: Burch
"Rules": My husband & I love names that are not very common (certainly not trendy!) but are also very easy to read or pronounce without getting wrong. We also aren't interested in any names starting with the letter "B" since both of us have "B" names & we don't want to continue the alliterations any further.

My husband & I are stuck on what to name our little girl. We've picked & finalized a name for a boy that we LOVE and that is Hayes. Hayes Cameron to be specific. They are both Irish surnames from my husband's side & we like that Hayes had meaning to us, plus it fits within our "rules" that we formulated. This is our first child, however, and since it's a girl we don't know for sure that we'll be using Hayes in the future but I suspect we will.

Names we've liked but eliminated for a variety of reasons:
Layla - My husband's favorite which I really liked until I found it's become too popular. I don't want any name in the Top 50 and Layla is still climbing at #45...
Kaylee - Another favorite of my husband's. I've eliminated for much the same reason as Layla.
Chloe - I LOVE the sound of this & my husband liked it but once again, too popular.
Kylie - Same problem
McKenna - We both love it, but we had a friend name her child this recently so that's pretty much out.
Vivienne - One of my favorites but my husband doesn't like it. I think he feels it's not "cute" enough but that's just my take.

Names we're still considering:
Jocelyn - I picked this & I like it a lot, maybe nickname of "Jocee". My husband is still deciding on this one.
Kingsley - I really like this & I haven't run it past my husband yet.

With all these names we're pretty open to middle names. Grace has stuck out as a very pretty & appropriate middle name. I'm just throwing that out there in case you can use that. Middle names aren't very important to me, I'm just as apt not to even write down a middle name. We only picked a middle name for our boy name because it's my husband's middle name & he wants to pass that along.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide! I honestly can't believe I'm one of those people that doesn't have a name. I thought for YEARS growing up that I'd name my little girl Kylie after my favorite singer Kylie Minogue but even that has become popular 15+ years after I fell in love with it. It's getting harder & harder to be "original" without being weird. =)

One of the most common problems in baby naming is that most of us like the same names at the same time. And if your tastes in names are fashionable (which I just mentioned in another post shouldn't be considered negative, any more than it's considered negative to have fashionable tastes in clothing), it's a struggle for me to understand why you'd choose a name you like less for no other reason than an arbitrary popularity-rank cut-off line. Other girls who wanted to name their daughters after Kylie Minogue are going right ahead and doing it (the name immediately started getting more popular the very year after Kylie Minogue started her career, not 15 years later), so why should you be the one to give up a name you love? Even combining it with the spelling Kiley, it's a name given to only one quarter of 1% of baby girls, and it seems to be holding steady rather than rising. Is that really so popular you can't use it?

I do get it, though: I have my own arbitrary naming preferences, as do we all---I just get frustrated at the thought of someone crossing off their favorite names when they don't have to.

If you want something less common, I suggest Kinsley or Kinley or instead of Kingsley: the boy name Kingston and the word "King" both make the name Kingsley seem boyish to me.

If you like Chloe, I suggest Cleo: exact same sounds in a different order, yet Cleo is not even in the Top 1000 while Chloe is #9.

If you like Kylie and Kayla and Kaylee, maybe you'd like Kaia or Keely or Kira or Kyra or Kyla or Kalliopi or Karis or Karly.

If you like McKenna, maybe you'd like Kiana or McKay or McKinley or Macy.