Home | Log out

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Baby Girl Brucke, Sister to Troy

Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Kenya writes:
Please Help! I'm due with my second child on March 10th. My husband and I can't agree on a name. My son's name is Troy Matthew, which we love because it's not too common but not weird either. Our last name is pronounced " Brooke-e". I have issues with highly unusual names because my first name is Kenya. I had to pronounce and spell it my entire life, so I want to give my children simple names, but not too common like Jennifer, Jessica, Nicole, etc...
I love love Nora, It's my great grandmothers name. It's not used too much, easy to pronounce but my husband hates it.

Names I love but my husband hates:
Nora (hubs just thinks it's ugly)
Jada ( hubs thinks it sounds like a stripper name)
Jade

Names my husband likes and I can deal with but don't love:
Jadyn (it kinda sounds like a boy name and is a little rare)
Kinsley (too cute-sy)
Savannah (it's long and a city I've never even been to)


Maybe I could squeeze Nora in as a middle name. I don't want to call my child by their middle name. It doesn't matter if it goes with Troy or not. I tend to like short, simple names! Thank You!!

You guys are so close on Jada/Jade and Jadyn, it seems like there should be some common ground there. I wonder if taking off the J and using Ada would strip it (see what I did there?) of the negative connotations for him. Is Ava too popular? Or Jane is almost like Jade in sound, but with totally different connotations. Or Gia? Or Kate?

Anna could be pitched to your husband as the shorter, simpler, non-place-name version of Savannah.


More short and simple names (avoiding -ee/-y endings because of the matching ending of the surname):

Alice
Clara
Cora
Eliza
Elsa
Eva
Eve
Faith
Greta
Iris
Kira
Kyla
Laura
Lia
Lila
Mia
Nina
Rose
Ruth
Tessa