Home | Log out

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baby Boy W. (Rhymes With Belch), Brother to Avelyn

Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Jennifer writes:
Okay, I am at the end of my rope with this name game thing.

My husband and I are expecting a boy around March 5th. When I was pregnant with my daughter we had two boy names picked out before we found out she was a girl. For months we argued about what to name her. Eventually we decided on Avelyn Isa.bel, a combination of Evelyn (my husband's choice) and Ava (not exactly on my list but a very pretty name I liked). I LOVE my daughter's name, and it fits her perfectly.

Now that we are having a boy, I hate every name I hear. I don't want something so common like John or Michael (hello, I am a Jennifer) but I don't want something ridiculous that sounds like it's trying too hard either. The names we thought we loved the first time around for boys were Cabe Alexander (a name husband thought up before we even married) and Orion Bruce (the latter being a combination of both our fathers names). However neither name is anywhere near the top of my list right now and I have contributed nothing to the name pool. Seriously, I have found nothing I like. My husband had a list of names most of which I think are awful (for my baby anyway) and from those I remember something like Isaiah, Malachi, Jude, Isaac...

The only one I like from his list has been Noah. Middle names considered were James or Bruce (family names) however, 1) I'm not sold 100% that this is THE NAME and most importantly to me right now 2) it is a pretty popular name right now. I hate that. With both parents being Jennifer and Kevin I don't want our boy to be one of four Noah's in every class.

Our last name sounds like belch (sorry!) but starts with a 'W'. With one girl at home and one boy on the way I really don't plan to have any more children. I just want to find something as unique and beautiful and fitting for this baby as Avelyn turned out to be for my first born.

P.S. I feel like I should quickly clarify that my husband and I are not very religious, he even less than me, so it was surprising that so many of his names are biblical in nature. This is not an important part of choosing a name to us, just so that is clear :) Also, one of the things that draws me to the name Noah is the sound, it just seems to roll off the tongue, very calm and subtle-like. Thanks for any ideas you can offer!

I'm trying to make a list of boy names I think of as similar to Noah (with that sort of GENTLE sound). But of course a lot of this is purely subjective: I might think Asher has a similar sound, and someone else could say "ASHER?? But that's so HARSH!" Nevertheless!

Asher
Callum
Casey
Cole
Donnelly
Eli
Elias
Finley
Henry
Jeremy
Julian
Karl
Leo
Levi
Miller
Milo
Oliver
Owen
Perry
Seth
Silas
Theo

I particularly like Milo _elch---maybe Milo James _elch. Avelyn and Milo. That's my favorite.

I also love the friendly sound of Casey _elch. Casey James _elch; Avelyn and Casey. For something a little more formal than Casey, I might use Charles/Charlie. Charles Bruce _elch; Charlie _elch; Avelyn and Charlie.

Elias _elch has a very appealing old-fashioned sound, and I love Avelyn and Elias together.

You liked Cabe the first time around, so I suggest Gabriel. Avelyn and Gabriel is a wonderful set, and you have Gabe as a nickname.