Home | Log out

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Baby Boy Scott, Brother to Delaney and Amelia

Thursday, February 17, 2011
Madelyn writes:
My husband and I are expecting our third child, a son in late March 2011 and we cannot agree on a name at all. We have 2 daughters together named Delaney Evelyn and Amelia Callyn. With Delaney (nickname Laney), it is my mother-in-law's maiden name and Evelyn was my grandmother's name. Amelia was a little more complicated to name. I wanted the name Mia for her, but my husband argued that it was not a full enough name and so Amelia was the comprimise, even though 95% of the time, I call her Mia. Her middle name came from her paternal grandfather (Cal) and the ending of name (-lyn). With baby #3, my husband and I just cannot seem to agree on a name. Our list is:

Jacob Landon- I love this name, but it has just become so popular these days especially where we live.
Dylan/Dillon- He loves this name, but I am on the fence about it
Nolan- my brother in law recently had a little girl name Noelle, so we don't know about this one.
Cameron- I love this name, but hubby is on the fence about it.

Names we have taken off our list:
Henry, Luca, Everett, Emmett, Connor, Sawyer, Dean, Liam, Evan

Thank you!

Since the girls have family names, are there any boy family names you'd like to use? Some other possibilities:

Austin
Braden
Caleb
Callum
Camden
Carson
Darian
Declan
Devin
Ethan
Kellan
Nathan
Owen
Quinlan
Rillian
William
Wyatt

I hesitated with some of the D names, wondering if they were too close to Delaney. But since Dylan isn't too close, and since you call her Laney, I left them in.

I was also uncertain about a number of names that could look like surnames: with a surname that is also used as a first name, it seemed like a surnamey first name might cause more confusion.

I thought Wyatt Scott seemed like kind of a cool name with all those double Ts. Elliott Scott would give a similar effect.

If Cameron is not quite right, Camden or Callum might work.

If Dylan is not quite right, Darian or Declan or Devin or Kellen might work.

If Nolan is not quite right, Kellan or Nathan or Owen or Quinlan might work.

If Jacob is not quite right, Caleb might work.

If Landon is not quite right, Logan or Brogan or Brolin or Brody or Brandon or Lachlan might work.

And any on-the-fence name might work better as a middle name. Caleb Dillon Scott. Camden Jacob Scott. Wyatt Nolan Scott.


Name update! Madelyn writes:
Well our baby boy finally arrived on April 3rd, 2011, 2 weeks late! We went into the delivery room with a choice between the names Kellan and Caleb, both from your suggestions. When our son arrived though, the names did not suit him well at all and it was back to the computer to look at other suggestions from you and your commentators. We looked back and I realized that my heart had all along been staying with Jacob, a name I have loved for a long time. So, it came to be that our son is named Jacob Rillian. Rillian was used to give the name a little flair and I love it because I've never heard it on another child before. Thank you!