Home | Log out

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Baby Girl Y___er, Sister to Rose, Tess, and Eli

Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Bren writes:
Repeat customer here! You and your readers gave us some great naming advice in January 2009 (We chose the name Eli for our son) and I am asking for your help again. I am now pregnant with a baby girl who is due this Thanksgiving. I am becoming a bit (or a lot) panicked that Husband and I have not been able to agree on a name for our baby.

Our children's names are Rose, Tess, and Eli. Our last name is 2 syllables, starting with a "Y" sound and ending in -er.

In my mind, this baby's name is Jane. I love it. I think it's sweet, classic, and goes well with our other children's names. My husband is less than enthusiastic about it. He brings up things like "Jane Doe" and "Plain Jane". So either he needs to see the light, or we need to come up with a name that we both can love.

Other names that I have on my list are:
Ada, Alice, Wren, Cora, Mae

It's important to me to have a name that won't be shortened to a nickname, as well as a name that is not currently trendy or popular. I tend to like shorter names.

My husband doesn't seem to have a "style" of name that he likes. His suggestions come from all over the place, so it's been difficult to even try to find some common ground. Some that he's suggested:
Bella, Lacey, Amelia, Mattea, Ashley.

The middle name will likely be a family name that will be decided once the first name is chosen.

What do you think? Any hope for us?

Thank you!!

If you like Jane but your husband is worried about Plain/Doe, there are several girl names that are nearly the same except for the vowel sound:

Jean
Joan
June

My favorite is June: Rose, Tess, Eli, and June. But I really like all three.

(There's also Jade, but I think it lacks the sweetness/softness of your other girls' names, and of the name Jane.)

I also love love love Cora from your list. Rose, Tess, and Cora is SO PERFECT for the three sisters: all three names SO DIFFERENT, and yet all having four letters and all very similar in style.


Name update! Bren writes:
Our little girl, Jane, made her appearance on December 3rd - a full week past her due date. She is beautiful and sweet and not a "Plain Jane" in the slightest. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I think all the positive comments from your readers helped my husband see what a great name it is. Thanks again!