Home | Log out

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness

Wednesday, August 18, 2010
A few weeks ago, I was working on my Baby Washcloth Project using some discontinued Bernat organic Cotton. There were initially 8 colourways in this line (I think!) and I accumulated 6 of those colourways before the line was discontinued.



 When I started this project I became a little consumed with finding a skein of the two remaining colours so I could have a whole set of washclothes. I emailed nancyyarnwoman who I learned through the comments section of the yarn page had acquired about 60 skeins of the yarn on clearance.

Out of the blue (we had never "met" before) I asked her if she would share some and she said yes! I received my yarn this week (including some bonus stitch markers, very sweet!) and hope to finish the project off soon. I have yet to send her a thank you gift, but I'm well on my way to putting something together.

Here is the finished set of Baby Washcloths, 8 in all.  Any moms out there care to weigh in regarding how many handknit washcloths a baby actually needs?  There was some debate about this between my husband and I.  I decided one per day was enough.  These are going to be for baths only really, I have lots of wipes that I've already made for other messy stuff.


These are some of the first photos I took using my new light box.  We built it from 1 inch plumbing pipe.  I like the effect, but I'll have to keep practicing.

Coincidentally, a week later, I received an email from treearonson asking if I had any spare Bernat Cashmere Naturals in a certain colour way. My stash page indicated that I did, and indeed I did!
 
This yarn had been sitting around for a while, I made my first hat (for me) out of this yarn and I still had 1.5 skeins left. I had bought it on clearance for 99c a skein and I knew I wouldn't miss it.
 
 Since someone had recently been generous to me, I jumped at the chance to do the same favour. What was really weird is that I received the email the day before our long weekend, when I was getting ready to head to Cambridge to visit my parents. I was shocked when I looked at where Teresa lived and saw she lived in Cambridge too! What are the odds?
 
I was able to deliver the yarn to her myself and was rewarded with a Tim Hortens Gift card (so sweet). You can check out her finished project here.
 
I highly encourage this kind of generousity as well as asking when you need help.  I've never been very good at asking for help, but I'm trying to learn now.  I have yet to be disappointed when asking for help, the person I am asking always says yes and we both walk away happy and satisfied.