I don't want this to seem flippant, but I'm having some trouble naming my parakeet and I thought it might be fun for you/the site readers to enjoy.
Here's the problem: my parakeet is a boy. All the boy names I would consider for a pet are also names I would consider for Potential Future Offspring, and I don't want to "waste" my good names on a pet. The names I like tend to be offbeat and quirky: Zeke, Bruno, Rufus. I'd like to name him something that is an actual people name, or something that sounds like it could be. One name I considered is Zuke (short for Zucchini), but he's blue instead of green like most parakeets, so I'm not sure if this is weird.
I also like names that have a meaning. With pets, this also extends to puns. I've considered Marty McFly and Conrad Birdie, but I'm not really settled on either of them.
Since he's my first pet that's entirely mine, I was thinking this could be an opportunity to come up with a fun, loose "theme" that I can use to name future pets. I've contemplated authors (Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "Markie" for short), 80's movie characters (Marty McFly), and characters from books (Pip, but that would quickly become "Pippy", a girl's name).
Anyway, if this is too silly to post, don't, but I'd at least love your input. I recently read that you're trying to name your cat Bonnet, which I think is adorable, and I thought you might be able to provide a little insight.
Thanks!
Indeed, I empathize: we've had our kitten for three and a half weeks and she is still nameless. And this does seem like a nice change of pace from naming babies. Would anyone like to name a parakeet?