I am due mid Sept and my husband and I are having trouble agreeing on a name for our second daughter. Our first daughter's name, Atley, was suggested to us early in the pregnancy and we immediately agreed on it. Naming decisions have been a bit more contentious this time around. Our last name is Naughton. My husband and I both have "K" names so I've been steering clear of those. The main problem is that I like unusual names and while my husband isn't opposed to them he wants them to have a very familiar sound. We'd nearly agreed on Harper but it's steady, almost astronomical, rise in popularity has turned me off. If it weren't for that problem, I think we'd have a winner. Other names that have made the short list we can agree on are: Beckett, Dempsey, Connelly, and Sutton. As you can see, I'm one of those...a stealer of surnames and boys' names for my little girl. I'd apologize but I just can't help myself. It may still come down to one of these names but since we're not in love with any one of them, can you suggest any similar names that match well with Atley? Thanks!!!
I suggest Arlo. It's a boy's name, but it has a similar sound to Marlo and Margo, and its gentle sound makes it a good girl-name crossover. It also has the "ar" sound like in Harper. Arlo Naughton. Atley and Arlo.
Or Winslow. Winslow Naughton. Atley and Winslow.
It's too bad it's a K name, because I think Kiefer might be adorable on a little girl. Kiefer Naughton. Atley and Kiefer.
Murphy works because although it's a boy's name, Murphy Brown made it almost too girl-associated to use for boys. Murphy Naughton. Atley and Murphy. (But I'd avoid a middle name starting with A.)
Brice is a boy's name, but the sound reminds me of Bree and Chrissy---as well as sugar/spice/nice. Brice Naughton. Atley and Brice.
My friend and fellow name aficionado Mairzy is going to KILL me, but Sterling is a boy name that would make a good girl name. Sterling Naughton, Atley and Sterling. (Oh, I am in such trouble.)
Memphis would be pretty on a girl. Memphis Naughton, Atley and Memphis.
Bridger is a boy name, but it's closeness to Bridget makes it hard to use. Bridger Naughton, Atley and Bridger.
The King of England gave up his throne to marry a Wallis. Wallis Naughton, Atley and Wallis.
I love the name Percy, but it's almost too gentle to use on a boy. Percy Naughton, Atley and Percy.
Same with Clarence: great name, but hard to use for a boy. Clarence Naughton, Atley and Clarence.
I read a book with a little girl in it named Fisher, and I have to admit I was completely won over. Fisher Naughton, Atley and Fisher.
Name update 09-03-2010! Kelyn writes:
Our liitle lady arrived a couple of weeks early. Thankfully, we'd agreed on a name the day before I went into labor. Her grandma says she decided to join us when she finally heard the name she wanted. We decided on Caris Violet. In the end it's not a boy's name or a surname. Despite not picking one of the many names recommended by you and your readers, you really did help us come to a decision. Caris was one of my favorite names from the start but my husband wasn't sold. Your responses forced us to sit down and really look at all the options and hallelujah we came to an agreement. Thanks for your help!