Home | Log out

Monday, July 19, 2010

Baby Boy or Girl VanTol

Monday, July 19, 2010
Jen writes:
Hi, I've been really struggling with completing our baby names.
We are having our 3rd child (gender unknown) due August 7/10.
We have 2 boys: Brennan (no middle name) and Kellan Mark.

I have a very long list of maybe names and a few in the runnings but nothing is 100%.
For a boy our #1 choice is Emerson Judah BUT I've been hearing Emerson/Emmerson/Emersyn a lot lately and they have all been girls. Does it sound like a girly name? To me it doesn't but I definately don't want a girly name for a boy.
Other choices for boys are: Greyson, Paxton, Kade, Corben, Elias
For a girl our #1 name is Kalli Eden but I'm hesitant to name 'her' that because it is so close to Kellan. Should that be an issue?
We also love Everly for a girl but can't find a suitable middle name for it.
Other choices for girls are: Sage, Kodi, Cairo, Sloan, Brea

Thanks!

In my opinion, Emerson is definitely going Girl. The nickname Emmy is what makes it irresistible, I think, and it's currently used more often for girls than for boys (source: Social Security baby name site)---and names don't usually come back to Boy once they're mostly Girl (see also: Anne, Alice, Jocelyn, Evelyn, Leslie, Meredith, Ashley).

I'm having trouble choosing a favorite from your boy name list: I'm not sure if it would be better to choose a name with a similar rhythm and ending to Brennan and Kellan (Paxton, Corben, Greyson) or whether to deliberately break the pattern (Kade, Elias). I THINK I prefer the idea of breaking the pattern, especially if you think you might have more children in the future and would feel pressured to keep it up---but I'm not at all certain about it.

With your surname, my favorite is Elias. Maybe Elias Judah, or is that too bible-y? Elias Jude would tone that down. Or Elias Kade.

For a girl, I think Everly Sage would be nice, or Everly Sloan.

Kalli does seem very close to Kellan to me. I wonder if spelling it Calli would help? I was thinking maybe Calla, but that seems MORE like Kellan because of the A. Perhaps Kalliopi, with the nickname Kalli? Or Kallista?