Home | Log out

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Baby Boy Blankman

Thursday, March 4, 2010
Sarah writes:
Help! We are struggling with boy names for our baby due 31 March. We have one million excellent girls' names but it's definitely a boy. I have seen the evidence on the ultrasound myself...

My husband likes very unusual names, often 'made-up'. These have all been vetoed. We solved this problem with our daughter by choosing a real name that's unusual: Tatiana.

We are not so concerned about middle names. Our daughter has my grandmother's name, my surname, and my husband's as her surname. (That sounds confusing: she is Tatiana Blank Blank Blankman!). We honestly don't really care how the first name goes with the middle names.

For our son, we'd like something similar. We really, really liked Noah but have dismissed it because it is just too popular for my husband. We are considering Gabriel and Josiah.
I know these are all biblical but we are open to other suggestions, and as the surname is Jewish we are also keen to avoid dooming him to becoming a rabbi with something that's just a little too OT (old testament rather than over the top!).

Incidentally: girl's name choice winner was Rafaella. SIgh. And no, we do don't like Raphael!

Thanks!

Since you like Noah (#15 in 2008), I wonder if you would like Nolan (#131) or Noam (not in the Top 1000)? [All rankings from the Social Security Administration.]

Since you like Gabriel (#24 in 2008), I wonder if you'd like Grant (#142) or Gideon (#534) or Gable (not in the Top 1000)?

Since you like Josiah (#96 in 2008, but way way higher-ranked in religious circles), I wonder if you would like Jude (#224) or Jonas (#274) or Jaron (#819)?

Maybe Milo (#449). And I really like Arlo (not in the Top 1000).

Silas (#313). Aidric (not in the Top 1000). Atticus (#689). Felix (#354). Barnaby (not in the Top 1000). Corbin (#262). Alistair (not in the Top 1000).