Home | Log out

Friday, February 5, 2010

Baby Boy or Girl Torode

Friday, February 5, 2010
Cassie writes:
Help!

We are expecting on February 24, 2010 and haven't landed on any names. To make matters more complicated, we don't know if we are having a boy or a girl.

Our surname is Torode (pronounced tur-ode) and the family name I would like to use is Tait. Just wondering if that is too much alliteration. I like the name Tait for a boy -and perhaps a girl.

My maiden name is Campbell which I also like as a unisex first name.

Options for middle names (also family names) are Jane and David.

Lastly, a few girls names I like are Stella, Reina, Gabriella, Isla (a few friends have named their baby this recently) and Chloe (maybe too popular)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When I experimented saying Tait Torode out loud, I got "Tater Road." I think the problem is that T at the end of Tait---the alliteration of, say, Taylor Torode is fine. In the middle name slot it would be less of a problem: Campbell Tait Torode, Stella Tait Torode. But I'm so keen on family names, I think I'd go ahead and use it as a first name and just get used to enunciating clearly with a nice pause between names.

A middle name for Tait is tricky. Tait David works fine, I think, but Tait Jane is too abrupt. I'd want to use a middle name that was as obviously feminine as David is obviously masculine, so maybe something like Elizabeth or Gabriella. Tait Elizabeth Torode.

I used to think of Campbell as mostly masculine until I realized the nicknames are feminine: Cammie, Bella. Campbell Jane Torode. And it still works for boys: Campbell David Torode. (Campbell Tait would work, too, but I prefer to pair an androgynous names with a name that is strongly masculine or feminine.)

I also like the names Jane and David for the first-name slot: Jane Campbell Torode is wonderful, and so is David Campbell Torode.

If you like Isla but don't want to use it after friends did, you might like Lila. Lila Tait Torode is so pretty.

If you like Chloe but it's a little too popular, you might like Cleo: same sounds in a different order and yet it's not even in the top 1000. Cleo Tait Torode.


More suggestions for Cassie?