Home | Log out

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Baby Boy or Girl Rivera

Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Heather writes:
My husband and I are expecting our first baby right around Valentine's Day. We have a boy's name picked out, Charles Anthony, after my husband's grandfather and great uncle. Plus, they are both saint's names, which my husband also prefers. However, we are having trouble picking out a girl's name. My husband is very partial to family names, and his favorite girl name is Anna Maria, after various female relatives of his, although he would accept a variant of this, maybe Annemarie or Marianna. I don't mind using the family names for a first boy, but I don't really want both name options to come from his family!

His family is from Spain, so perhaps a girl's name with a Spanish flavor, but not one that is too common in the U.S., would be nice. Our criteria are: at least one saint's name, classic--definitely no place names like Madison or Savannah, and not a top-10 name. Unfortunately, several of my favorite names just seem too popular, such as Emily and Abigail. Jillian, Claire, and Margaret are others I like, but they also out b/c they are already in the family. The list of names we both agree on for a girl is pretty short. Our first choice is Elizabeth Anne, with nn Libby, but I wonder if the name is too vanilla, besides Elizabeth being pretty popular right now. Another option is Evangeline Marie, but we're not quite sure about it. I do like all the nickname options it gives, though. Our last name starts with an E and is similar to Rivera.

Other names I like are:

Caroline/Carolina
Amelia
Audrey
Helena
Veronica

Middle name will probably be something like Marie or Anne, although other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks so much!