Home | Log out

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Baby Girl Cothron, Sister to Tessa Faye

Saturday, May 21, 2011
Kristin writes:
We are expecting our second girl in July. My husband and I have narrowed down our list to three main names and I would love your opinion--or if you have a similar option? We have a 2 year old name Tessa Faye. Our top 3 list is:
Lyla
Livia
Presley

We like Kate as a middle name, but not sure if this would be TOO similar to our older's daughter name.

Tessa, to me, is a sweet, old-fashioned, exclusively feminine name. For me, this would knock the modern surname name Presley right off the list. On the other hand, the sounds (separate from the associations, which of course vary from person to person) are compatible. If you were considering, for example, Leslie/Lesley, which is very close to Presley in sound, I would think it worked despite Lesley being at one time a man's name (as were Anne and Evelyn, so I tend to think In The Now on this issue): Tessa and Lesley. And in fact I think that might be a nice one for your family: Lesley Cothron; Tessa Faye and Lesley Kate.

Livia also seems like a good fit, although it seems like the similarity to the Top Ten name Olivia might be a hassle to continually deal with.

Lyla or Lila is my first choice: to me it has the same sweet and old-fashioned feel as the name Tessa. Lila Cothron; Tessa Faye and Lila Kate. Myla would also be pretty.

I think it's fine if middle names are similar in sound, and in fact I find it appealing; it makes me want to say "Tessa Faye and Lila Kate," even though I would usually have just said "Tessa and Lila."

Let's have a poll, over to the right!